Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#203238 - 11/02/2004 18:31 Re: Firebird^H^H^HFox 0.8 is out [Re: Memil]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
I would just like to point out that MYIE2 has both bookmarks like Stuart mentioned, and ad blocking with wildcards like Memil mentioned, along with tabs and mouse gestures and a whole bunch more. And the underlying browsing is done with IE, so more pages will be formatted and work correctly than with the alternatives.

#203239 - 11/02/2004 18:35 Re: Firebird^H^H^HFox 0.8 is out [Re: ninti]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
How, exactly, does Mozilla/Firefox not handle divs correctly?

Please point out the section of the w3c spec where it deviates. I'm sure if it does you could submit a bug and the authors would fix it. Otherwise, it's an IE-specific "feature" that does not adhere to web standards.

#203240 - 11/02/2004 18:41 Re: Firebird^H^H^HFox 0.8 is out [Re: cushman]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
> Otherwise, it's an IE-specific "feature" that does not adhere to web standards.

Oh, I am sure it is. Alas IE sets the standards now and w3c is pretty much irrelevant. You either play along or get left behind.

Edit: That came out a bit strong. Let me elaborate. The fact is that most pages on the Internet are made for and tested with IE, since it is the leader by far. For most pages that is not a problem, but for a certain percentage that will make Firefox fail to render it as intended. If the people at Mozilla want to make their browser usuable on as many pages as IE is, they need to support those extensions. But it appears they would rather make a statement by ignoring them, which is their loss, because most people will not even understand why it doesn't work right, they will just see that it doesn't. And that will ensure that Firefox never gets anywhere.

#203241 - 11/02/2004 19:19 Re: Firebird^H^H^HFox 0.8 is out [Re: ninti]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I see your point, Ninti: Yes, it's wrong for Microsoft to go deviating from the standard, but if the Mozilla people have any real interest in competing with IE, they might want to consider making sure their browser renders properly even on sites that were only tested against IE...

I know, it's the principle of the thing...

#203242 - 12/02/2004 03:48 Re: Firebird^H^H^HFox 0.8 is out [Re: ninti]
Memil

Loc: Sweden
Most of the problems I have had with browsers other than ie is when webmasters cant write javascript's, so some menues dont work as intended...
I know that ie accept some errors in the javascript-code(I wont even begin talk about what think about that). Most other browsers dont.

I do it the hard way, I write the webmaster a email telling them about the errors...
I would like to fire them from their work - but unfortunately its not in my powers...

/Fredrik

#203243 - 12/02/2004 18:54 Re: Firebird^H^H^HFox 0.8 is out [Re: drakino]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I decided to try the widows version too and it works pretty good. It loads the start up page faster than IE. One problem though is that after I open it no matter how long I leave it open the first address I type into the address bar takes a while to show up like the typing lags.

Matt

#203244 - 16/02/2004 10:17 Re: Firebird^H^H^HFox 0.8 is out [Re: drakino]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Ok, does anybody know how to disable the "I'm feeling lucky" search in FF? It happens when you type something in that doesn't resolve normally, then doesn't resolve with com/net/org.

I changed my users.js at home and it now does a normal search but the final straw was here at work when I went to the Cumbria Safety Camera Partnership forum. I thought I had typed the first three letters and selected the URL in my history list but obviously not! I switched back to the tab and couldn't remember visiting a site offering "private access to thousand's of f*** movies". I did consider the possibility that the partnership hadn't quite issued enough tickets to pay for their wood-panelled gilded offices, and perhaps XXX popups were one of their ideas to boost finances.

Gareth

#203245 - 04/03/2004 23:42 Re: Firebird^H^H^HFox 0.8 is out [Re: drakino]
foxtrot_xray
addict

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Because I'm a geek, I'm bumping this thread up.
Spoke to the nice gent who did the logo for Firefox.. Considering my middle name, I love the little graphic. It so happens that he just released a desktop of the logo. Very well done..
http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/downloads/firefox/
(Add the Style "Windows Recall" (from www.themexp.org) to your desktop, and you have a nice blue theme. Windows only, of course..)

Me.
/geek

#203246 - 04/03/2004 23:50 Re: Firebird^H^H^HFox 0.8 is out [Re: foxtrot_xray]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Oh, it's a fox. As tiny as the logo is on the icon, I thought it was a gecko. Or a newt. Or something.

#203247 - 05/03/2004 07:50 Re: Firebird^H^H^HFox 0.8 is out [Re: wfaulk]
foxtrot_xray
addict

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah. It's strange how that works out.

Me.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2